Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Staying Focused on God

photo sxc.hu

Something I have been pondering...

There are times when I will worry about if I said something wrong, or if I did something wrong or if I offended someone to the point where I will be stressed about it all week. I focus so much on what people think about what I do or say, I take my focus off of one who is most important – God. I have let the enemy distract me with myself and my insecurities and doubts and have ignored the fact that I need to surrender everything into his hands. I need to let Him be in control. And when I am so focused on myself, I set my faith and trust aside that when I step into the water I am not walking with Him but sinking into the depths of the murky water just as Peter did in Matthew 14: 25 – 31

Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake.
When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

So, why do we doubt Him? Why is it so hard for us to stay focused on Him instead of all those minute events that take place daily in our lives?

It is because of our human sinful nature that we focus on ourselves. Satan wants us to be distracted. He wants us to be at odds with one another. He wants us to doubt, to fear, to question, to judge, to condemn - anything that is opposite of what God wants. He wants to thwart God’s plans for humanity. The enemy wants us to focus on anything but God. He doesn’t want us to love each other, help each other, or forgive each other. The enemy wants hatred, bitterness, anger, doubts and fear to harbor in our hearts instead of faith, trust and love. If we were to simply just lay all those trivial daily events in our lives into our Lord’s hands, let him handle and take care of everything and simply leap out into the waters with blinding love, faith and trust we CAN walk in the waters with Him through the storm.

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for loving us. Thank you for reaching out to us despite our waves of doubts and fears. As we go about our daily lives, help us to stay focus on You. Help us to surrender all our troubles and worries to You and rest it all in Your hands. Help us to grow closer to You and develop a stronger relationship with You. And just as You love us, help us to love, encourage, lift up and support one another despite all of our differences, offenses or acts. May Your love shine through each and every one of us.
I ask this in Jesus name.
Amen.

God Bless,

Carol