Thursday, July 17, 2014

Struggling to Have a Heart like Jesus


stock photo by Lightstock


Struggling to Have a Heart like Jesus


A Christian thought to ponder ...

Have you ever had God speak to you through certain passages within the Bible, through a study, a devotion, a sermon, or even through a song? Usually, the message is about something you need to correct within yourself. Well, more than anything in this world, I want to have a heart like Jesus. Today, I followed a rabbit trail and discovered something amazing and enlightening. For the first time, the light clicked on, and the Lord revealed an amazing truth to me.

I have always had this emboldened image in my mind as to what a person with a heart like Jesus should be like - a bubbly, outgoing, sociable person who had an angelic glow. A person who was always giving and serving. In my eyes, I have failed in achieving to be like such a person. I thought, I will never have a heart like Jesus, for I am so imperfect. I am at a loss as to what my gifts are, and I am not sure where to serve as I am shy, I lack the gift of speaking, I lack knowledge of the Word, and I have health issues. I am dirt poor which makes it hard for me to give or do anything to help out. How can I do His will and have a heart like His when I failed in all these areas? I thought to myself, Lord God, I am not perfect, and it is way too hard of a struggle for me to become like this person.

However, the Lord uses the struggles we go through in life to shape and mold us into being just like Him. I let the enemy’s tactics that plague this world throw fear, shame, doubt, ignorance, and envy at me to bring me down and interfere with what the number one goal of every Christian should be – to have a heart like Jesus and to be Christlike in all ways. Why? Because I have been so hung up on the struggle to become like this perfect person that I forgot that there is no perfect person. Jesus was the only perfect person that ever walked on this earth. None of us will ever be perfect. If we were perfect, none of us would have to seek God for help, guidance, comfort, and wisdom. It is important for us to remember Philippians 4:13 (KJV), “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

The Lord will provide us with the strength to get us through the struggles in our lives. As we depend on Him and seek Him daily through His Word and prayer, the more we will begin to be more like Him and to have a heart like His. If we lack the will and diligence and are bound and determined to have our feet in two worlds (this world and the world in which our Lord resides), we will never discover what it means to have a heart like Jesus and the enemy of this world will hold us back and will delight in seeing us fall and crumble.

The enemy knows I will never measure up. We all fall short of the glory of God. But to strive to be like Jesus and have a heart like Jesus can be shown in many ways daily and throughout our lives; For instance, it can be a smile, a hug, a touch, a prayer, an anonymous donation, providing a meal, or a helping hand. These little acts of kindness can touch someone's heart and show someone that they are thought of and loved. Sometimes we are limited in what we can do or say because of a disability, but that does not matter to Jesus. It does not mean we do not have a heart like Jesus or that it will prevent us from having one. We need only abide his commandment as it states in John 13: 34-35 (KJV), “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples if ye have love one to another.”

It is important to remember that the enemy does not want us to love one another, be like Christ, or do God’s will. The enemy wants us to be torn, confused, and inflict emotional pain upon one another. The enemy’s goal is to keep us from loving like Christ. We need to guard our hearts against the enemy, seek the Lord daily and ask him to put a hedge of protection around all of our hearts. Proverbs 4:23 (NIV), “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”

We will continue to walk through this world, facing struggles as we strive to be more like Christ, but if we cast our worries upon Him, obey, and do His will, He will take care of our hearts.

Father God,
Please give us a heart that overflows with love for each other. A heart that is like Yours and one that long’s for Your will and not the enemy’s will. Help us to protect our hearts from the enemy’s attacks that would prevent us from having a loving heart like Yours. Enshroud us with Your love; help us to make You the focus of everything in that we do daily. Guide us, direct us and help us in our time of need.

Amen.
Love to you all and God Bless!
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment